Sunday, January 24, 2016

December 12, 2002

Having finished Holes, we began to read some of the kids Harry Potter at work.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38709.Holes
Today I listened to the description of Dudley's school uniform: maroon jacket, orange knickerbockers, a straw hat, and a knobby walking stick. I didn't remember that, but it struck me so funny, I had to draw a picture. I hope I have several original illustrations by the time we're done w/the book.

By the way, I read Quidditch Through the Ages and started both of the other books. I especially enjoy reading about fantastical beasts. It's a very clever book.

But Connie Neal's book The Gospel According to Harry Potter is also interesting. She suggests that Albus Dumbledore us like God: he loves Harry, helps and protects him, but allows him free will to follow or break the rules and fight evil. Dumbledore hates evil, but is very forgiving of people who have done wrong (Hagrid, Snape). When, in the 1st book, Dumbledore warns the students they will die if they visit a certain hallway, it's like God warning Adam and Eve to stay out of the Tree of Knowledge. But I wonder if J.K. Rowling really asks, "What would God do?" when she writes Dumbledore.

No comments:

Post a Comment